Election Fraud Bill by Liberal Democrat Headed to Senate Floor
SB217 by liberal Little Rock Democrat Clarke Tucker unexpectedly passed out of committee on Thursday, April 1. Unfortunately, this was not a bad April Fool’s Day joke. The bill would allow Arkansas to be turned into a Pennsylvania or other states where election fraud and stealing elections would be easier to undertake. The bill passed on a 5-2 roll call vote with Senators Clarke Tucker, Breanne Davis, Cecile Bledsoe, Jane English, and Bart Hester voting Yes. Senators Trent Garner and Bob Ballinger voted No.
Why the Bill is so Bad:
- Throws Integrity Standards Out the Window – MORE VOTER FRAUD POTENTIAL. This bill changes election laws related to absentee ballots to increase the opportunity for election fraud and stealing elections.
- Late Delivery of Absentee Ballots Allowed. Would allow for absentee ballots to be accepted 10 days after the election. Currently these are due by the closing of polls on election day.
- “Curing” of Provisional Ballots. It would extend the time a person can “cure” and make valid their provisional ballot. Currently a ballot must be cured by the Monday after an election, but the bill seeks to extend this to the day of the certification.
- “Curing” of Provisional Ballots by Phone. The bill also allows for people to cure a ballot by phone, with no safeguards to ensure voter integrity other than someone calling in to cure a ballot. This opens the doors for activists to work with people to cure their otherwise uncountable ballot. Notices would be sent to encourage people to cure their ballots rather than the responsibility falling on the individual to follow through and cure their ballot, if possible.
- Broad Rule Making Authority over Handling Absentee Ballots. The bill also allows broad rule making authority to the state board of election commissioners (politically motivated individuals), including rules over the storage and labeling of ballot boxes.
This is truly a bad bill and must be stopped. The opportunity is on the Senate Floor.