By Conduit for Action
If you believe Democrats, the liberal media, and even Republican Governor Asa Hutchinson the Arkansas Republican Party has been led astray by President Donald Trump into becoming radical right Republicans. That is a bunch of hooey.
The platform of the Republican Party of Arkansas has had the same list of conservative principles for years.
- The power of faith in God Almighty
- The sanctity of life
- Individual responsibility and initiative
- Individual freedom and liberty secured by a limited government
- Private property
- Lower taxes to produce economic growth
- Strong national defense
- The personal right to own and bear arms
- The equal and just enforcement of the law
- Separate and equal branches of government
Until recently many Democrats agreed with all or nearly all those principles. Even while Republicans were in the minority, many Democrats got elected by claiming to have conservative positions.
Just a few decades ago it was Democrat majorities who championed laws restricting abortions, penalizing public obscenity, trying to protect the flag of the United States against desecration, and trying to get prayer back in schools, or at least a moment of silence.
Even at a time when most voters were Democrat and elected Democrat politicians, Arkansas voters passed Amendment 64 to prohibit the use of public funds for abortion, except to save the life of the mother. It further declared as Arkansas policy to protect unborn children from conception to birth, to the extent permitted under the Federal Constitution.
Two new issues to come before the 2021 legislature were transgender issues and the divisive critical race theory.
- Somehow you can no longer be considered “open and affirming” to the LGBTQ+ community unless you: (A) Agree that males who identify as females should be able to compete in athletic events for girls, and (B) Think it is okay to push minors into receiving gender reassignment treatments and procedures. The Arkansas legislature disagreed and passed legislation protecting girls’ sports and delaying gender reassignment decisions until a person is at least 18 years of age.
- Critical race theory is another new push by the left. It results in a racist view that it is okay to blame white people for everything. The legislature took a step against the divisive theory by prohibiting the state from pushing the theory. Some other states have taken an even bolder stand against the racist theory and other states are considering legislation. Meanwhile, parents across the country are taking the fight to their local school boards to stop the indoctrination of their children.
Arkansas Republican politicians and Arkansas voters aren’t under the spell of Donald Trump. They still have the same conservative views they had long before Trump.
The only major change in Arkansas politics is big woke corporations, like Walmart, have adopted the radical left agenda. Some politicians still bow to anything these corporations say.
It is not the Republican Party of Arkansas that is out of step with the voters. It is the Democrats, the liberal media, and even Governor Hutchinson. It won’t be long until you, the voter, can show once again where you stand. The elections will be held next year in 2022.