Title IX – What you need to know & how to get involved
What is the Biden Administration about to do?
On June 23, the Biden Administration announced a new federal rule that will impose major changes on how schools and universities treat boys and girls, men and women.
Bypassing Congress, the Administration is rewriting a 1972 law called Title IX that prohibits discrimination “on the basis of sex.” The Biden’s Administration new rule redefines “sex” to include gender identity and sexual orientation.
What does that mean?
It means that your school will violate federal law if it fails to recognize or accept a student or staff member’s gender identity. In order to avoid violating this new law, schools will have to become highly focused on everyone’s gender identity.
What will my school be forced to do?
Many school activities involve separating students based on sex. Under the new rule, schools can only separate students based on gender identity – that is, based on the gender a student “identifies” as. This will dramatically affect:
- Sports: Schools will be forced to allow biological males to participate on women’s sports teams if they “identify” as female. This will cause biological women to lose positions on athletic teams, opportunities to compete for championships and scholarships, and will expose girls to bodily harm in certain sports. Girls and women deserves the opportunity to participate in fair and safe athletic competition. Title IX was passed to give women – biological females – equal opportunities in educational programs, not to force them to compete against biological males.
- Bathrooms and locker rooms: Schools will be forced to allow biological males to use female intimate facilities, and vice versa. Access to these facilities will granted based on gender identity, not biological sex. Schools will not be allowed to evaluate the sincerity of someone’s claimed gender identity or to create any barriers to an individual’s instant access to intimate facilities of the oppose sex.
- Field trips and overnight stays: Schools will be forced to allow both students and staff to bunk or quarter with others according to their gender identity, not biological sex. For example, a male teacher who identifies as female would have the right to quarter with female students.
- Sex education: Because of the sensitive nature of sex ed materials, some parts of sex ed classes are typically segregated by sex in order to allow a more open discussion and avoid embarrassment. Under the new rule, biological males would be allowed to attend girls classes, and vice versa.
- Gender pronouns: Schools will be forced to apply sexual harassment disciplinary procedures against students and teachers who “misgender” another student or teacher — that is, fail to use the gender pronoun that person prefers. This part of the rule would require schools to ask students to state their preferred gender pronoun, introducing the false idea that gender dysphoria is normal and common. And the rule poses serious free speech and compelled speech problems: Every child has the right to free speech, to either speak or not speak or to affirm or not affirm messages or ideas, depending on their beliefs or conscience.
Can my school ignore the new rule?
In order to receive federal funding, schools must certify that they are in compliance with federal law. The Biden Administration will force every school to obey its “gender identity” revolution by withholding federal funding for non-compliance.
What Should I Do?
There is an open comment period when all Americans have a right to weigh in against the proposed rule change. Parents Defending Education has set up an easy way for you to tell the Biden administration that you are opposed to this rule change and its destructive effects on our schools. Your comments matter – the administration is required by law to read and consider them.
For more information, watch this video: https://vimeo.com/742413567/a7ef83cfd6
To submit comment directly on the DOE’s website, visit this link: https://www.regulations.gov/commenton/ED-2021-OCR-0166-0001